The average American household of four uses up to 260 gallons of water each day. Also, electricity, paper, and plastic are constantly being wasted all over the country. These environmentally detrimental habits are trending. Now is the time to make a positive change.
At ICO Monteval Apartments in Orem, we are dedicated to fostering an eco-friendly lifestyle and doing our part to protect the earth. Here are a few tips to live green at our apartments in Orem.
Did you know that 3.6 billion people live in areas where water is considered a scarce resource? Utah is one of the many places around the United States that often experience a dry, hot summer, so residents at our apartments in Draper need to be conscientious of their individual water use. Here are a few ways you can conserve water:
- Keep an eye out for leaks. A faucet that leaks just one drop of water per second wastes up to 165 gallons per month! Keep an eye out for loose pipes and leaks, and report them to our maintenance team. We’re happy to fix them as quickly as possible.
- Don’t spend hours in the shower. The average shower uses 37 gallons of water. Do your part and cut down on shower time to avoid using more water than necessary.
- Don’t flush unnecessarily. A standard toilet uses about 3.5 gallons of water each time you flush. Don’t flush tissues and other garbage down the toilet. Instead, be conservative, using the toilet only for its intended purpose.
- Don’t let the water run. Whether you are brushing your teeth or washing dishes, turn off the water when you don’t need it.
- Only wash full loads. Try to time your laundry or dishes so you have a full load. This will reduce the number of times you have to run the machines, saving on water and money.
By making these modest changes, you can make a tremendous difference in the amount of water that goes to waste.
In addition to water, you can also conserve energy in your home. Here are some eco-friendly tips to cut down on energy use at our apartments in Orem:
- Turn off the lights. This one is easy peasy. When you leave a room, make it a habit to turn off the lights. Additionally, if it is daytime, consider using the natural light coming in through the windows.
- Unplug your appliances. If you have any electronics, lamps, chargers, or otherwise that aren’t in use, simply unplug them. This will reduce the amount of electricity used in your apartment.
- Wash on cold. If you can, wash your clothes in cold water. This will eliminate the need for additional energy to heat the water. Plus, it will keep your clothes from shrinking!
Cutting back on energy use in your apartment will not only save money on the utility bills but also contribute to a cleaner environment.
The most popular way to practice sustainable living habits is to recycle. At the Monteval Apartments in Orem, we encourage all residents to follow suit. Items you can recycle include plastic bottles and containers, empty cans, paper, and flattened cardboard. You cannot recycle food, liquid, plastic bags, plastic wrap, or cups with wax or plastic coating. In Orem, you can take your recycling to Recycle Coach.
We encourage all at ICO Monteval Apartments in Orem, to follow these tips. By making small adjustments to your daily habits, you can do your part to live sustainably and protect the earth.